Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Hummingbird Pieced Pouch

Last month when my family was visiting, Abby showed me one of her favorite books and drew a picture about it. I now have a wonderful crayon-colored picture of three different species of birds. With Easter coming up, I knew I wanted to make something for my cousin and it just had to incorporate a bird somehow.

I saw this on Instagram, and really wanted to try to make something like it on my own. I decided to piece together a hummingbird from random fabric scraps, and then use it to make a zippered pouch. I made my first zippered pouch for a swap recently, and ever since then, I've been itching to sew up some more.

It took me basically an entire day just to piece together and sew the the front hummingbird panel. As you can probably tell, this was my first venture in piecing odd shaped fabric scraps together. It didn't turn out so bad, but I could definitely use a lot more practice. Perfecting the corners was so frustrating and still seems impossible to me. The bird's beak is positioned at the wrong angle, but by the time I realized it, I would've had to basically start completely over. I'll definitely go the tried and true, actual pattern route next time, instead of going rogue and free-handing it. I say this now, but I'm a pretty stubborn person, so we shall see. I added a sequin for the eye and called the front piece finished.
Assembling the actual pouch didn't take nearly as long as that front panel. I used Noodlehead's tutorial which is very well written and easy to follow. I had a little trouble with both of the corner seams at the top of the pouch. Lauren suggested I try this next time, and I think I will.

This project took me a little bit longer than anticipated, so I mailed Abby's package late. I was hoping that she would receive it by Easter Sunday, but one day late isn't so bad. Lauren also knit a bunny nugget for her. I hope Abby enjoys her little Easter goodies! Abby doesn't really know it yet, but she's our new pen pal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment