Monday, April 13, 2015

Overnight Oats Pancake

You read that right, PANCAKE!
I love my precious almond butter so much that every time I reach the bottom of the jar and I can no longer scrape anymore nut butter out, I always make overnight oats in the jar to use up every last bit of that deliciousness. The other day I realized I still had two jars of overnight oats that had been sitting in the fridge for close to two weeks. "Gross", you may think, but don't worry, I did the smell and taste tests and the oats were still perfectly fine. I decided that I better polish them off soon though, before they reach the three week mark! The problem though, was that I really hadn't and didn't feel like eating overnight oats. I couldn't just let them go to waste, but all I really wanted to eat was a pancake. So I thought, why not make a pancake with my overnight oats?

Ingredients:
- Almost empty jar of almond butter (or just an empty jar and 1 tsp. of almond butter)
- 1/2 cup of old fashion oats
- 3/4 cup of soy milk
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 3 tsp. of water
- Chocolate chips (optional topping)
- Additional 1 tbsp. of almond butter (optional topping)
- Maple syrup (optional topping)

1. Make your overnight oats at least one day in advance. Combine the oats and soy milk in the almost empty jar of almond butter. Shake it up really well and refrigerate overnight.

2. When you're ready to make your pancake, heat a skillet on low/medium heat. Add the baking powder and water to the overnight oats and stir until completely combined.
3. When the skillet is hot enough (test by dripping water on the pan, if it sizzles, it's ready!), pour the overnight oats batter onto the pan and spread out to desired pancake size. Don't spread it out too thinly though, otherwise the pancake will be impossible to flip.
4. Like with any other regular pancake, flip the pancake over when the top starts to bubble and the bottom looks firm enough. This oat pancake will still be slightly gooey so I found using two spatulas to be very helpful in the flipping process.
5. Place your finished pancake on a plate, top with whatever sounds delicious (chocolate chips, more almond butter, and maple syrup for me!) and eat up!

Full disclosure: I still enjoy regular pancakes so much more (these are my absolute favorite), but this overnight oats pancake is still tasty and a good way to turn an ordinary meal (I eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning) into something more exciting!

And just in case you have the overwhelming desire, you can also read about my trials and tribulations when I first started making overnight oats over a year ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment