Friday, January 9, 2015

2015 Resolutions

I wasn't planning on making any resolutions for the new year. I figured my monthly goals were plenty to keep my challenged. But alas, the last few days of December I found myself really wanting to set several goals, completely separate from my 24th birthday goals and subsequent monthly goals lists.

In 2015 I want to...
1. Run a marathon in under 5 hours, regardless of how many attempts it takes me. (*Side note: I just signed up for the San Francisco Marathon in July!)

2. Do something crafty every single day, even if that means just knitting one row of a project.

3. Get my 10,000 steps in everyday. I lost my original FitBit in November, so Lauren bought be a new one for Christmas. Now I'm determined to get everything I can out of this device which means pushing myself to get those steps so that it buzzes everyday.

For me, in order to be successful in accomplishing something, my goals must be specific. Personally, it doesn't work to tell myself that "I'm going to run more". What is more? Am I going to run more miles than I did the previous year? Am I going to every single day throughout the year? To be successful I need to clarify exactly what it is that I was to accomplish. Thus, my New Year's resolution is to get a marathon PR and break that 5 hour marker.

Related to running, I want to improve my fitness and get back into shape. This isn't something that's going to happen by running 5 miles once a week or whatever. I believe that fitness and health should be incorporated into everyday life. As cool as it would be to say that I ran every single day for an entire year, that's just not something that's healthy for me. I ended up with bursitis in my hip because I pushed myself too hard when I ran everyday in October. I need those rest days to let my body recuperate. Health is something that is always on my mind. I do a pretty good job of watching what I eat (when I'm not home for the holidays!), so I wanted exercise to be something that I also keep track of on a daily basis. What better way to do this than by making sure I get 10,000 steps a day. While full on running isn't something that I should do everyday (personally), walking around 5 miles per day is very doable for me and something that won't hurt my body by overexerting myself. By getting my steps in, I'm also encouraging myself to get out more and explore my city.

I like doing crafty things. In the past few years I've rekindled my joy of sewing. I recently picked up knitting again. I find cross stitching very rewarding, although super time consuming. And I find pleasure in doing all things crafty in between. I didn't want craftiness to become a chore, but I do want to be more creative in this new year. I want to make sure I'm using my time being somewhat productive, rather than just wasting my days browsing the Internet. 

So far, 9 days into the new year, I've done something crafty everyday but haven't tracked 10,000 steps everyday. I'm slowly easing back into running and created a running calendar so that I can highlight the daily mileage I actually do.

This almost feels like Lent in January to me...just a thought.

And there you go. Here's to hoping I keep my resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment