Monday, October 6, 2014

Getting Back into Running

Since moving to Philadelphia I've been pretty bad a keeping a consistent running schedule. The whole moving across the country ordeal and the ensuing packing, unpacking, organizing, reorganizing shenanigans were so time consuming and exhausting. Also, my dad was here for a week along with Lauren's family...so, family time trumps running.

My "running hiatus" became even longer when I thought it was more important to add lots of different exercises to my normal routine. I tried lifting weights and taking a core conditioning class. Lifting weights, mainly squats, hurt a ton and I was sore for almost two weeks! That has now been put on hold for an undetermined amount of time. I didn't mind the core conditioning class, but all of those crunches truly made my tail bone hurt like no other. I definitely need to continue working in a lot of core exercises, but I'm going to have to start doing this on my own, on a more cushioned surface. I also have plans to incorporate swimming, yoga and/or zumba into my normal routine.

But, I couldn't push running to the side entirely. It's only fair that I give this exercise that I have actually come to enjoy, a spot on my schedule. Now that I've been living on the East Coast for three weeks (woah!), I figured it was time to break out my beloved running shoes yet again.

One of the biggest things that motivates me to run is admiring the running hashtag on Instagram. I started following "pinkcupcakegirl" on Instagram awhile ago, but towards the end of September she announced that she's going to lead #streakingwiththeCOOLKIDS. Basically, the goal is to run at least one mile everyday in October. So I thought to myself, "Courtney, what better way to jump back on the running bandwagon?" Challenge accepted.


The day before the challenge began, I went running to make sure I'd actually be able to accomplish the feat. I hadn't run in so long that I didn't know if my legs would still be able to carry me that far. I also wanted to make sure that I wasn't so out of shape that my lungs wouldn't jump out of my body. Fortunately I was able to run a 5k with no real issues. I was actually impressed that I was able to do so without taking any walk breaks. I normally run with intervals (run 6 minutes, walk 1 minute), so not needing these intervals was a pretty nice surprise. I decided to make one of my official October goals: run at least one mile a day.


October 1 I laced up my light blue running shoes and headed outside. I ran 4 miles, no sweat (actually there was a lot of literal sweat, sorry). The next few days went off without a hitch as well. Yesterday Lauren actually wanted to come running with me!


Many things motivate me to keep running. Instagram of course, but also the desire to run more races and earn those medals and new race shirts spur my legs to keep on moving. I still haven't signed up for any future races, but I'm keeping my mind and eyes open. For now though, #streakingwiththeCOOLKIDS is the perfect challenge for me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment