Friday, October 17, 2014

Best Friend Friday No. 2

Lauren and I have been dying to go to Grindcore House ever since we decided to move to Philadelphia. Being the weird one that I am, I find myself checking the "veganphilly" and "phillyvegans" hashtags on Instagram, and they're flooded with delicious looking pictures from Grindcore! Since we're getting a lot more comfortable with taking public transportation (meaning we haven't been getting lost or stranded), we decided earlier in the week that this Friday's adventure would highlight a Grindcore taste test.

We took the Subway AND a bus just to get to Grindcore. It was pretty easy to figure out the logistics and everything, but the commute cost an extra token. You know I'm really looking forward to going somewhere if I'm eagerly willing to spend that extra token ;)
I arrived at the cafe and was pleasantly greeted by the employees. Lauren and I scanned the menu, which I must add was perfect. The menu wasn't so overwhelming, yet there were plenty of options, and everything is vegan! Grindcore has several different bagels and a variety of spreads, like different flavored cream cheeses, hummus, and butter. They also offer several sandwiches and a display case full of desserts. I chose the whole wheat everything bagel with scallion cream cheese and a pumpkin muffin. Lauren opted for a marshmallow flavored latte, a plain bagel with pumpkin cream cheese and a cannoli, but we pretty much shared everything.

My bagel was delicious! The scallion cream cheese was over the top and gave the meal such a great flavor. The pumpkin muffin was also really tasty. Next time I think I'll try the fieldroast sandwich with pesto!

After brunch, we walked about half a mile to Target. This was a huge outing because we haven't been to Target in over a month and we didn't think we would be able to until going back to California in December. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see the big red bulls eye symbol. Since we had to lug our purchases back with us, we couldn't go too crazy. I did buy Lauren a Christmas present (that she picked out), a cute ghost print Pyrex bowl, and a yoga mat. I think I see some yoga in my future!

We then made a quick stop at Whole Foods so Lauren could pick up some ingredients for her homemade deodorant, then it was back home for us.
The majority of the afternoon was spent updating our Ravelry yarn stashes (mine and Lauren's). I must say, I need to thank Lauren for pressuring me into purchasing the "Yarma" app over a year ago. Today was the first time I've used it, but it made uploading pictures to Ravelry a thousand times easier.
Of course, no Friday would be complete without pizza! I've gotten used to making homemade pizza every Friday back in California; it had become a weekly tradition. Since moving to Philadelphia that tradition was never really reinstated until today. We did however wind up at Blackbird Pizzeria the last two Fridays, coincidentally. One of the those Fridays was for Lauren's birthday dinner. Hey, I love pizza, don't judge! Anyway, we had homemade pizza for this week's Friday Night Pizza night. Think homemade white dough with sauteed broccoli, spinach, onions, tomatoes, olives, and vegan cheese that we picked up from Trader Joe's last week. Delicious, if I do say so myself!

Now to finish off this wonderful Friday (Friday is the best day of the week), it's time to go for a short run to get my mile in for #streakingwiththeCOOLKIDS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment