Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Year of the Sheep

Happy Chinese New Year! I know, I'm almost a week late. But better late than never?

Being half Chinese, I've celebrated Chinese New Year somewhat traditionally for my entire life. Normally I would go over to my grandparents' house and have customary "jai" for dinner and take a grapefruit leaf bath, amongst other things. This year though, since I'm in Philadelphia and away from my family, I had to celebrate in a much more Americanized way, and I made Lauren join me.

Since I don't have access to any of the traditional Chinese foods or customs, I honored the New Year the best and most fun way possible...Americanized Chinese food!

Lauren and I went to our favorite Philadelphia Chinese restaurant, Su Xing House, where everything is vegetarian (almost all vegan), and ordered whatever and however much we wanted.

We started with fried dumplings, which reminded me more of pot stickers. We also dined on brown fried rice, veggie chow fun (because noodles are a must as they represent longevity), broccoli with garlic sauce, and two different varieties of fried seitan. I'm in love with their fake meat dishes! Saying that everything was delicious is a complete understatement. There are no words to describe how excited Lauren and I had been looking forward to this meal (and the ensuing leftovers). So I'll just leave you with a few photos of the amazingness! I wasn't able to take pictures of all of the dishes, because let's face it, my hunger got the best of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment