Monday, August 24, 2015

Floral Tiny Pocket Tank

Perhaps you recognize this fabric from my graduation dress? Well, I just had to use it again since it's the perfect weight fabric for this muggy, humid Philadelphia Summer. That, and my graduation dress no longer fits. So it seemed like a good idea to make a second garment with the same exact, leftover fabric.
I bought this pattern over three years ago, but never actually finished a single top. I've been trying (slowly but surely) to work my way through my fabric stash. I had just enough of this floral print left to squeak out one of these tanks. I didn't have enough fabric left for the neck or arm hole bindings, but found some leftover gray linen instead. The sturdiness of the linen worked better anyway.
This was a fairly simple pattern, and I didn't encounter any real problems. The only fit adjustment I made was cutting about an inch off from the bottom to take into account my short torso. Placing the pocket on straight definitely took effort, but I like that little added detail so it was worth the struggle. I haven't sewn bust darts in so long that I had to look up how to do this technique. I also decided to use French seams throughout the top for a more finished look. Otherwise, this tank was a quick sew. It took me about a week to finish with a lot of starting and stopping in between.
Pattern: Grainline Studio's Tiny Pocket Tank
Size: 4