Friday, April 11, 2014

Crazy Plant Lady

I think I'm ready to accept the title of "crazy plant lady". It's been a long time coming, but I think it's official now.

Last year I wanted to try my hand at "gardening". I bought a yellow rose bush and made Lauren plant it for me. We had beautiful roses for a few weeks until aphids appeared and I gave up and stopped watering it entirely. Fail.

Several months ago I wanted to spruce up the apartment with indoor plants. How hard could it be? We went to Ikea and each picked out a plant. I enlisted Lauren again to do the planting and I was in charge of watering. I'm happy to report that these two plants are doing great and I love the touch of green that they add to the place.

A few weeks ago, I had an epiphany. If I can keep indoor plants alive, I could surely grow vegetables, right? So Lauren and I headed to Home Depot and wound up back home with tomato, strawberry, and basil plants. Again, Lauren planted them and I've taken charge of the watering schedule. I am very proud to say that they are thriving. The tomato and strawberry plants have already started to blossom.

During this same Home Depot excursion, we picked out three succulents, and I planted them all by myself. We decided to keep the succulents inside. We previously had potted succulents outdoors, and they too had suffered miserably. So, our new succulents are keeping the Ikea plants company inside, and they're doing okay indoors. The jade is doing really well, but the other two are getting a little funky. I have no idea what's up with that.



Because our latest planting attempts have been successful so far, we wanted to add more veggies to our container "garden". This time we checked out Walmart and decided on lemon and Japanese cucumbers, and zucchini. I also found a small palm for indoors. Lauren also wanted to try planting flowers from seeds. So far everything is still growing great. Two weeks ago it rained all week long, so I got off easy on my watering duties. All of the veggies are growing new leaves, and the flower seeds are slowly inching their way up above soil. So cool.





I guess the moral of my planting story is to not give up after numerous failures (they were my fault anyways), and try something new. It's possible to have a "garden" even when you live in an apartment and don't have a backyard or barely a patio! I'm so excited to watch our plants grow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment